Friday, August 28, 2009

thursday lunch break

It's a rather unusual treat to be able to come home in the middle of the day and have the time to cook a proper meal. But it's one that I delighted in yesterday, as I made a delicious curried squash and red lentil soup with coconut milk. No, there were no clams or crostini in my soup, and I made my own curry mixture out of cinnamon, cardamom, cumin seeds, and cumin, and if I did it again, I'd almost certainly boil the lentils in the same pot as the vegetables. But that doesn't take away from the magic of enjoying the fruits of your labor at 1pm on a Thursday.

There's something about cooking in the middle of the day that just feels right -- you know you won't come home to the task of chopping and sautéing. You might have some dishes to catch up on, but you're free to just fry some eggs and boil some greens for dinner and call it a night.

Maybe my great-grandparents were on to something: maybe dinner is a midday meal afterall.

1 comment:

Kara said...

This recipe looks great. My grandparents also say dinner instead of lunch. Supper is in the evening.