Sunday, August 23, 2009

Food

School hasn't even started yet, and already I have a homework assignment that I've been procrastinating on.

My homework for this week was to create a weekly meal plan. In theory, it's the perfect assignment for me. I have to think through the week's meals, make sure I have the ingredients to make whatever I decide I want ahead of time, and then I don't really have to think about it once the insanity has begun.

The problem with schedules and plans like this is, as much as I love them, I also resent them for telling me what to do. I get bored and restless quickly. It all seems so mundane, so predictable. If I even make it through a week, I feel deflated. Life needs to be exciting -- the excitement of not knowing what I'm eating next, when my stomach's growling, I've got 30 emails to respond to, 300 pages to read, and 2 papers to write, is probably not the kind I'm looking for, though.

So I began my meal plan last night and have begun making preparations for snacking all week. I'm going to try to get away with only making 2 dishes this week, a curried squash and lentil soup and a simple millet casserole. I can eat them (separately) for dinners or lunches, paired with a nice greens salad or steamed vegetables. I have eggs and grains for breakfasts. Hopefully with time, this will get easier.

No comments: