Friday, August 21, 2009

School Year Resolutions

Every August for the past 24 years, I've followed the same routine. I've shaken off the summer, wrapping myself in the dreams of a crisp, clean new school year. The scent of freshly sharpened pencils, new paper, new shoes, and wooden desks atop shiny tiled floors is so strong in my memory that I can almost smell it even now, sitting at my desk at home.

My enthusiasm may have waned somewhat -- I no longer wash out new lunch bags days ahead of time out of sheer joy to be returning to the hallowed halls of learning. I no longer arrange all of my new school clothes into various outfits until I have found the perfect back to school match. I have a more realistic understanding of the monotony of the life of a student.

But even still, I get excited when it's time to buy new pens, pencils, notebooks, schoolbags, and yes, school clothes. THIS year, I tell myself, THIS year, I will do better. I will study harder, be more sociable, dress better, and, for the past four years, be a more engaging, fair teacher. Filled with possibilities, I make a personal schedule of classes and work dates and extracurricular activities and other obligations. Blocks of time take on different colors, and everything looks so sensible, so possible. I look forward to spending long dark evenings tucked away with life changing ideas, imagining myself as a sort of stylish monk, silent and focused yet comfortable. I truly believe that if I just make the right timetable and stick to it, that my life will be transformed.

And so, I list my school year resolutions for this, my 24th August of hitting the books:
1. Coffee shop study date with friends every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 8-12
2. Yoga at least twice a week
3. Walk at least 5 times a week
4. Lesson plan ahead of time
5. Actually do all the readings for my classes
6. Wake up no later than 6:30 on all weekdays
7. Wind down every night slowly, by reading something for pleasure
8. Blog often
9. Start research projects early
10. Prepare my own lunches. (I guess I'm still excited about finding a new lunch bag)

What are your school year resolutions?

1 comment:

Kara said...

Great list! If you need lunch box ideas, check out Vegan Lunch Box at http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/